Skip to main content

Adventures in U.S. History Week 2

For our second week of second grade, we added in math, foreign language, and some read-alouds to our lessons.  This gradual start to the school year has been so nice!  It allows to get our feet wet with our new schedule and become familiar with our books without jumping straight into deep water!

Making a chart with paper circles. Singapore Math 1B.

After completing Calvert First Grade Math, Miss M was ready to jump into Singapore Math 1B.  The first few lessons are a simple review of some things she already knows, but I've looked ahead and she is going to be introduced to new material pretty soon.

Reading charts workbook page. Singapore Math 1B.
She was a little disappointed by the lessons so far: "Mo-om, I already know how to do this!" But I'm confident this is the right level for her. So far she wanted to do more math each day, but I had to stop her so we could accomplish the rest of our lessons in a timely manner.  (Sorry, child, but Mama just can't sit and do school with you all day long! If I do, there will be no supper and no clean clothes to wear).

Math answer book in my three-ring binder.
The teacher's answer book for Singapore Math is rather diminutive volume and it kept getting lost among the other books on our school shelf.  So I used my three-hole punch to punch holes in it (even though there were only room for two holes since it's so small), and I keep it in my Teacher's Planning Notebook.  I did the same thing with the Rosetta Stone teacher book.

Janet the Fox takes a test. She got 100%!
We had a visitor to our school this week. Janet the Fox came to take a test.  Miss M said that if her fox went to a place where the people speak Spanish, they should call her Señorita Jan-ita.


In history we learned about Christopher Columbus sailing to the New World.  Miss M thought it was very interesting that he was a mapmaker but didn't know about the continents of North and South America.  Actually, I'm not quite sure she believes that part of the story!

The part of Christopher Columbus is played by The Miz, courtesy of Little Guy.
We made aluminum foil boats with barbecue skewer masts and printer paper sails to represent the Niña, the Pinta, and the Santa María. The masts were held in place by a ball of modeling clay.


These three ships were sailed across the Atlantic Ocean, er...the bathtub...driven by strong trade winds, er...the breath of babes.

A few My Little Ponies may have made the voyage as well.
After blowing on ship sails, we had some more fun with air including an experiment that demonstrated that an empty plastic bottle isn't empty at all and is quite full of air!  We also held some paper races!

Fold paper and wave cardboard to see who can cross the finish line first!
Air is all around us. It can move things!
Our snow storm last week was repeated early this week.  So much of our time was spent looking out at the beautiful snow, counting feathered friends, and shoveling mountains of snow!



A snowman that is taller than me!
On Friday we took a nature walk.  We didn't go far because the snow is still deep and it's hard for little people with little legs to walk in it for long.  But we did see a couple deer and find their tracks in the snow.  Miss M was ecstatic to find some berries under a tree!  Until I told her they weren't berries at all, but deer droppings.  She decided then and there that's what she would draw for her nature journal when we got home.

This picture is from earlier in the week, before the second snow.
Thankfully, she forgot about the deer poop and focused on identifying a tree of a twig she brought home.


She managed to identify it as an Eastern Redcedar.  It is used by animals for food (small purple berries), nesting, and cover.  People use its wood for chests, closets, posts, poles, and pencils, among other things.

We had a wonderful second week and are looking forward to next week (and some warmer weather)!

Come see what adventures we had in Week 1!




The rest of our adventures:

Comments

  1. Oh I am so happy to have dropped by from Hip Hop. I had such fun reading through your day. Can I join you? :)
    Blessings,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can join! The more the merrier! *wink*

      Delete
  2. What a fun idea with the aluminum foil boats! My grandkids have also been learning about the great explorers, like Columbus, and learning their continents. We have had a blast with a huge map from Walmart - playing twister on it, throwing "snowballs" made from aluminum foil, and using a dart gun to help us remember which is each continent. Now I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate that in their minecraft game. Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Playing twister on a big map sounds FANTASTIC! My kids would *love* that! Thanks for the fabulous idea!

      Delete
  3. We will be starting Adventures this summer. I too have a younger child that learned to read early and will be pushing into 2nd grade faster than I anticipated. I'd love to know what book it is you use to learn about the tree branch. Thanks! I've bookmarked your page to help me as I move along my adventure this summer/fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. The book she used is Trees of Missouri by Stan Tekiela. He has books for birds and trees for each state and I highly recommend them!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fall SWAP progress

I finally have some progress to report on my Ottobre SWAP.  There are actually six garments finished, but I only have pictures of four of them so far. You can see that the brown Maya blouse is lacking buttons. I didn't have anything suitable in my stash, so I'll "have" to go find some at JoAnn's.  I'm thinking something to match the medium pink in the trim, but we'll see. I almost never buy buttons...I usually always make do with what I have on hand. The cream Maya blouse is made of a vintage pillowcase I picked up at Goodwill a while back ($0.50).  It carries that oh-so-fresh smell that I love on my pillows and is super soft. I have a bit left that I'm going to hoard until just the right project comes up. I'm delighted with how dressy the little skirt came out! It's made of chocolate brown stretch velvet.  Miss M thought it was great fun to pet it like a kitten. Modeled by the lovely Miss M...and just before naptime (what was I thi

Cocoa Krispie Sod House: a model you can eat

Ahh! I just realized I haven't blogged our Adventures in U.S. History since Week 26!!  What happened?!  We've just been plugging away contentedly at our work and are nearing the end of our school year.  So, while I go get myself sorted and whip up the rest of our weekly reviews for you, I thought you might like to see our latest project. A Cocoa Krispie Sod House Ingredients: 6 tablespoons butter 6 cups miniature marshmallows 9 cups cocoa krispies 3/4 cup fancy shredded coconut ("fancy" looks more like grass, but any shredded coconut will work) green food coloring extra butter or cooking spray Also needed: large sauce pan (or large microwave safe bowl) wooden spoon jelly roll pan or cookie sheet waxed paper small glass bowl fork knife clean scrap of cardboard popsicle sticks kitchen shears Directions: Melt butter in a large sauce pan over low heat. Don't let the butter brown!  When melted, add in the marshmallows and s

12-gore denim skirt

The other evening I drafted a pattern for a 12-gore skirt following the instructions found here .  The next day I cut gores from worn out pairs of jeans!  Now I have a gorgeous denim gored skirt. I used 1 1/2-inch wide elastic in the waist and designed it to sit on my hips rather than my true waist.  I’m so short waisted that if I wore bottoms at my actual waist…well, it wouldn’t be pretty!  I plan to reuse some of the original belt loops so I can wear a belt with it…let’s just say that a toddler and an elastic-waist skirt are a recipe for disaster! You can see a few places where I removed pockets before cutting my gores – adds character, don’t you think?  And a skirt without a pocket is simply ill-conceived, so I reused a pocket from one of Hubby’s pairs of jeans.  Now I can carry my cell phone when I run errands!