Skip to main content

Adventures in U.S. History Week 25

Hello again!  We're glad you're joining us on our adventures!  This week we traveled from Iowa to Wisconsin and then on to the California Gold Rush!

We had a fantastic time marching around the kitchen singing "You're a Grand Old Flag" and listening to "Stars and Stripes Forever."  When I first started marching, the kids looked at me like I was nuts, but it wasn't long before they joined in on the fun!

In science we learned about atoms and molecules.  Frankly, I think the whole concept went a little over Miss M's head, but she had fun anyway.  We built H2O molecules out of marshmallows and toothpicks and filled a cup with them.

A "water molecule" made of 1 large hydrogen marshmallow and 2 small oxygen molecules.

Then, when Hubby came home, Miss M presented him with a glass of "water."  It was quite a hoot!


Friday was a nice day with a whole string of hot days in the forecast, so we made sure to take a nice long nature walk.


We discovered many different types of grass seeds.  Many of them were prairie grasses that grew well over my head.



We discovered some white berries on a tree and later identified them as dogwood berries!  Inedible for humans, but not toxic.  Many of our local birds love dogwood berries!


Then I was seduced by the beautiful weather and the begging of my children, so we climbed a grassy hill and went into the woods.  This turned out to be a foolish move and you'll see why in a minute.

Little Guy climbing an unmowed grassy hill.
The woods were cool and shady.  We were swarmed with mosquitoes and spotted several varieties of mushrooms including the well-known Amanita muscaria, a beautiful but poisonous toadstool.


When we arrived back at home, we were amused by some "traveling seeds" that had attached to our socks.  I snapped a shot of some on my foot and then bent down to pick them off.  That's when I noticed dozens of itsy-bitsy, teeny-weenie ticks all over my feet!  They were on the kids too!  No doubt we walked right through them in that tall grass.  We rushed inside and stripped and bathed.  Thankfully, no one was bit and all's well that ends well!


That was enough adventuring for one week.  See you next week!



Our adventures from previous weeks:




The rest of our adventures:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Ready for Creation to the Greeks and 1st Grade

The past several days post-Christmas have been spent prepping for our upcoming school year. We school year-round from January to December. This year our schedule is blocked off in 5-week chunks.  We will have five weeks of school followed by a week or two (or sometimes three) break. There are many, many reasons we keep this sort of schedule, but I'll save all that for another day. Since I am doing both Creation to the Greeks and First Grade from My Father's World this year, I had a little more work than usual to get ready. I Printed or Copied grid pages from both the CTG and First Teacher's Manuals to make my planner pages listed in the Teacher's Manual from Drawing with Children Science in the Beginning Notebook ( get it under Downloads from Berean Builders ) Proverbs cursive copywork for my girl to tagalong with her little brother English from the Roots Up worksheets ( download here ) 100 chart from back of Singapore Math 4A Home Instructor's Guide ...

Cocoa Krispie Sod House: a model you can eat

Ahh! I just realized I haven't blogged our Adventures in U.S. History since Week 26!!  What happened?!  We've just been plugging away contentedly at our work and are nearing the end of our school year.  So, while I go get myself sorted and whip up the rest of our weekly reviews for you, I thought you might like to see our latest project. A Cocoa Krispie Sod House Ingredients: 6 tablespoons butter 6 cups miniature marshmallows 9 cups cocoa krispies 3/4 cup fancy shredded coconut ("fancy" looks more like grass, but any shredded coconut will work) green food coloring extra butter or cooking spray Also needed: large sauce pan (or large microwave safe bowl) wooden spoon jelly roll pan or cookie sheet waxed paper small glass bowl fork knife clean scrap of cardboard popsicle sticks kitchen shears Directions: Melt butter in a large sauce pan over low heat. Don't let the butter brown!  When melted, add in the marshmallows and s...

Letter posters with memory verses

I have very fond memories of the cursive letter banner that was posted around the top of the walls in my fifth grade classroom.  I thought it would be fun to make something similar for our homeschool classroom (a.k.a. our kitchen). I decided to include a Bible verse for each letter.  At this point it's mostly for my own benefit since Miss M doesn't read yet.  They serve as great reminders to help her memorize these important bits of Scripture while her little mind is still a sponge.  (It saddens me that my memorization skills are not what they were when I was a kid!)   The fun part is I saved my work in a pdf file for you to use too! Just click the image above to download the file.  I laminated mine before sticking them around my kitchen walls with ticky tacky.  (The laminator is a new toy!)  Enjoy!