Skip to main content

Ninja baby!

After finishing 18 cloth diapers, I was a bit tired of them -- the repetition gets boring after a while.  I wanted to sew something else, so I traced off Ottobre 1/2009 numbers 1 and 2, the Nuppu wraparound jacket and Nunnu knit pants.  I cut them out of cheerful green double knit I got a Hancock Fabrics a few months ago.  I used size 50 (the smallest size) and the finished product is comparable to the 0-3 month store-bought outfits we've been given.

I couldn't decide which pieces I wanted to be stripes and which solid, so I enlisted Hubby's help. Turns out he had very strong opinions about which parts should be which, so it's a good thing I asked!


 He was also quite adamant about wanting a ninja embroidered on the front (once I shot down the Gears of War logo and Batman symbol).  This little guy from How to Draw a Cartoon Ninja fit the bill nicely.  I got an awful kink in my neck while working on it, but I'm pleased with the end result.



I sewed it with the triple stretch stitch on my sewing machine...no walking foot or anything, just the regular ol' foot and lots of patience.

This was the perfect opportunity to try out my new double needle (I finally remembered to buy one the last time I was at JoAnn!), but I only had a teeny tiny bit of green thread left...not enough for two needles!  So I did all the hemming with a small zig zag instead.

In other sewing...

Yesterday I finished three diaper covers, two fleece and one from a felted sweater to go with my diaper stash.  I used Katrina's Quick Sew Soaker Pattern.  The preemie size seemed most appropriate for my newborn sized diapers, but I plan to make some of the newborn ones too, just in case.



Almost two weeks ago a friend of mine was here for a visit and mentioned that she wanted to applique a number 5 to a t-shirt for her daughter's fifth birthday.  I decided to undertake the task myself, only I decided to do a whole dress instead.



My mom had given me this very girly fabric and it was perfect for this project! It was a big hit with the birthday girl!

Comments

  1. my goodness!! did u sew that ninja on??? even up close i thought it looked as if it was drawn on with ink! LOL great job there....

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] tried it out on the ninja baby outfit I made.  The ribbon ties were coming off (I didn’t use the right sort of ribbon, you [...]

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] I am going to try my hand at the Ottobre Nuppu Wraparound Jacket & Nunnu Pants (I found a pic here) and the pattern calls for "Sweater Knit 70%30% bamboo/CO" for the jacket. Err, I have [...]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, just wanted to thank you for the link to the Ottobre English yahoo group that you posted in the Births.com.au forum.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Ready for Creation to the Greeks and 1st Grade

The past several days post-Christmas have been spent prepping for our upcoming school year. We school year-round from January to December. This year our schedule is blocked off in 5-week chunks.  We will have five weeks of school followed by a week or two (or sometimes three) break. There are many, many reasons we keep this sort of schedule, but I'll save all that for another day. Since I am doing both Creation to the Greeks and First Grade from My Father's World this year, I had a little more work than usual to get ready. I Printed or Copied grid pages from both the CTG and First Teacher's Manuals to make my planner pages listed in the Teacher's Manual from Drawing with Children Science in the Beginning Notebook ( get it under Downloads from Berean Builders ) Proverbs cursive copywork for my girl to tagalong with her little brother English from the Roots Up worksheets ( download here ) 100 chart from back of Singapore Math 4A Home Instructor's Guide ...

Cocoa Krispie Sod House: a model you can eat

Ahh! I just realized I haven't blogged our Adventures in U.S. History since Week 26!!  What happened?!  We've just been plugging away contentedly at our work and are nearing the end of our school year.  So, while I go get myself sorted and whip up the rest of our weekly reviews for you, I thought you might like to see our latest project. A Cocoa Krispie Sod House Ingredients: 6 tablespoons butter 6 cups miniature marshmallows 9 cups cocoa krispies 3/4 cup fancy shredded coconut ("fancy" looks more like grass, but any shredded coconut will work) green food coloring extra butter or cooking spray Also needed: large sauce pan (or large microwave safe bowl) wooden spoon jelly roll pan or cookie sheet waxed paper small glass bowl fork knife clean scrap of cardboard popsicle sticks kitchen shears Directions: Melt butter in a large sauce pan over low heat. Don't let the butter brown!  When melted, add in the marshmallows and s...

Letter posters with memory verses

I have very fond memories of the cursive letter banner that was posted around the top of the walls in my fifth grade classroom.  I thought it would be fun to make something similar for our homeschool classroom (a.k.a. our kitchen). I decided to include a Bible verse for each letter.  At this point it's mostly for my own benefit since Miss M doesn't read yet.  They serve as great reminders to help her memorize these important bits of Scripture while her little mind is still a sponge.  (It saddens me that my memorization skills are not what they were when I was a kid!)   The fun part is I saved my work in a pdf file for you to use too! Just click the image above to download the file.  I laminated mine before sticking them around my kitchen walls with ticky tacky.  (The laminator is a new toy!)  Enjoy!